Pakistan in the Holy Quran
“We have certainly sent down to you a Book in which is your mention. Then will you not reason? (Holy Quran 21: 10)
Every single verse of the Holy Quran has a message for Muslims and it surely does have a lot of messages for the people of Pakistan as we shall read. Many points in this article have been derived from one of the lectures of the late Islamic Scholar Dr. Israr Ahmad (RA).
Message for Muslims in the Holy Quran
“We have certainly sent down to you a Book in which is your mention. Then will you not reason? (Holy Quran 21: 10)
The following is reported from Harith bin Awar (RA): Once, Hazrat Ali (RA) said:
“I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) say:
‘Behold! A dissension (Fitnah) will come.’ Thereupon, I asked,
‘O Messenger of Allah! What is the way out of it?’ He said,
‘It is to obey the Book of Allah.’(Then Holy Prophet PBUH explained the characteristics of the Quran as follows:
‘It contains all information about what has happened to those communities before you, news of dissensions and tumults that will happen after you and signs of Doomsday. It is the distinguisher between the truth and the falsehood. If anyone seeks guidance elsewhere Allah will lead him astray. It is the strong rope of Allah. It is the reminder with wisdom, and it is the straightest path. It protects souls who obey it from being ruined and misguidance and tongues that recite it from ambiguity.’
‘Scholars of the Qur’an always crave more from it. Reading it again and again never bores its reader; neither does the reader lose any taste by reading it over and over again. Its magnificent wonders that astonish the mankind never end. It is such a Book that, when they had heard it, the jinn could not help to confess that, “We have heard a wonderful recital (God’s word).
This surely guides to the Truth and we believe in it.” (Surah al-Jinn,72/1) He who utters it, speaks the truth. He who acts according to it, will be rewarded. He who pronounces judgment according to it, will be just. He who invites people to it, he surely has been guided to a straight path.’ Oh A’war, learn very well these beautiful words.” (Tirmidhi)
The Dream for a Separate Homeland
“And remember when you were few and oppressed in the land, fearing that people might abduct you, but He sheltered you, supported you with His victory, and provided you with good things – that you might be grateful.” (Holy Quran 8: 26)
- Muslims were less in number, 4 times more Hindus
- Much less Educated
- Hindus were closer to the ruling Englishmen
- Hindus were much more powerful
- Muslims were in fear and weak
- Pounced down into the earth
- Hindus had more land
- Difficult for Muslims to get into Medical and engineering colleges
- Difficult to get government jobs
- Fear that Muslims would be wiped out, made speechless
- Muslim Culture finished, changed into western and Hindu culture. This is most evident from the anti-Muslim policies & activities of the modern BJP government under Modi.
- Thus Muslims wished and prayed for a separate land because of two reasons: Fear (of Hindus) and to create a land where they could establish the rule of Allah (as inspired by Hazrat Allama Iqbal RA).
- It was Hazrat Allama Iqbal (RA) who convinced Qaid e Azam (RA) to continue his struggle for a separate homeland after he had some how lost hope.
- “If God forbid we are unable to get Pakistan, the name of Muslims will be wiped out from the subcontinent” (Qaid-e- Azam RA)
· (More detailed role of Qaid-e-Azam (RA) and Hazrat Allama Iqbal (RA) will be discussed in a separate article in sha Allah)
Pakistan was Born
· “Then Allah gave you shelter” (Pakistan).
- Even Qaid e Azam a year before had thought that Pakistan would not be created before 10 more years (Cabinet Mission Plan, which he accepted). In which first of all whole of India would get independence from the Englishmen.
- Allah had other plans. He wished to accept prayers of millions of Muslims of the subcontinent. Dr. Israr Ahmad Marhoom recalls how he and thousands others gathered in several sessions & places and earnestly prayed & even cried to Allah for a separate homeland for the Muslims.
- “And your Lord says, “Call upon Me; I will respond to you.” (Holy Quran 40: 60)
- And so Allah heard the prayers of the Muslims.
- On the 27th night of the Holy month of Ramadhan, 14th August 1947, Pakistan was born.
- Pakistan was created against all odds; against the wishes of a more powerful nation, with much more funds, money at its disposal, with support from the British
- Pakistan will be created over my dead body (Ghandi)
- It surely was a miracle of Allah
- For the earnest prayers & efforts, Allah gave us not one but TWO Pakistans (East and West Pakistan)
- Muslims had been fighting for West Pakistan. There was no mention of East Pakistan.
- 2/3 of Muslims in India migrated and became free of Hindu and English supremacy
- “And helped you”
- Our money was frozen, many thought Pakistan would be finished; there was little money to give government employees their salaries. Everyone expected Pakistan would be finished in a few years after its birth.
- But no, Allah Almighty also helped us to establish our homeland
- Pakistan became more and more powerful in the following initial years after independence
- “All Muslims of the world are now with us”- warning of PanIslamism by Mr. Liaqat Ali Khan.
- “And gave you from provisions”
- Allah gave Pakistan so much in early years in agriculture and by other means
- So that you may be thankful
- And Establish His Deen upon the land
Time to Become Thankful and Establish Allah’s rule begins
“Said Moses to his people, “Seek help through Allah and be patient. Indeed, the earth belongs to Allah. He causes to inherit it whom He wills of His servants. And the [best] outcome is for the righteous.”
They said, “We have been harmed before you came to us and after you have come to us.” He said, “Perhaps your Lord will destroy your enemy and grant you succession in the land and see how you will do.” (Holy Quran 7: 128-129)
“Pakistan ka matlab kiya “La ilaha ill Allah” (What is the meaning of Pakistan? There is no God but Allah). This was a common slogan in years leading to independence and after.
Pakistan was created upon this principle stand as stressed by Qaid-e-Azam:
Objectives Resolution (Qirardad Maqasid) was passed in 1949 by a consensus of all the Islamic scholars of all sects and the politicians which was a good initiative, which itself was another miracle.
According to this resolution, it was decided that supreme sovereignty belongs to Allah alone.
Next year in 1950, 31 top Ulema of different sects including Deobandi, Barelvi, Ahle-Hadith and even Shia, gave 22 points for the constitution of Pakistan! They gave a green signal to go ahead with forming the constitution based upon these 22 points. This was yet another miracle.
But nothing significant was done beyond this resolution; on the contrary laws continued to be passed against the teachings of Islam throughout the history of Pakistan.
Allah was watching us and still watching us to ‘see how we do’; how thankful we would be.
Pakistan Became Ungrateful; not thankful
And [remember] when your Lord proclaimed, ‘If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]; but if you deny, indeed, My punishment is severe.’ “(Holy Quran 14: 7)
If we had been grateful we probably would have got more of India, especially Kashmir.
We were ungrateful and after 25 lunar years we lost East Pakistan as Bangladesh
93,000 soldiers imprisoned; moral down to Earth
We would have lost Pakistan within 6 days had it not been for Nixon’s call for a unilateral ceasefire
Our air force was paralyzed
We witnessed so much humiliation
“We have thrown the two nation theory into sea of Bengal”-Ghandi
“We have got revenge of 1000 years of slavery from Muslims”-Ghandi
East Pakistan Replaced by Bangladesh
We prayed so much for this piece of land; and we lost it; we turned away from His teachings and we earned the punishment of Allah
“And if you turn away, He will replace you with another people; then they will not be the likes of you.” (Holy Quran 47: 38).
East Pakistan was replaced by another people: Bangladeshis of Bangladesh.
Continued Warnings from Allah
“O you who have believed, respond to Allah and to the Messenger when he calls you to that which gives you life. And know that Allah intervenes between a man and his heart and that to Him you will be gathered.” (Holy Quran 8: 24)
“And know that your properties and your children are but a trial and that Allah has with Him a great reward.” (Holy Quran 8: 28)
People are more worried about one’s children than one’s faith, going to extremes of earning by unfair means for ones’ children (corruption, bribery, interest etc) and so failing the trial given by Allah.
Only Allah will give the reward; children may not return the favor and reward you back; they may even kick you out of your house and take you to old homes or even kill you.
“O mankind, what has deceived you concerning your Lord, the Generous”
(Holy Quran 82: 6)
“So do you believe in part of the Scripture and disbelieve in part? Then what is the recompense for those who do that among you except disgrace in worldly life; and on the Day of Resurrection they will be sent back to the severest of punishment. And Allah is not unaware of what you do.” (Holy Quran 2: 85)
Some rulers came and only implemented Islam in small bits and pieces and not as a whole.
“O you who have believed, enter into Islam completely [and perfectly] and do not follow the footsteps of Satan. Indeed, he is to you a clear enemy.” (Holy Quran 2: 208)
We Continue to Betray Allah and His Prophet
“O you who have believed, do not betray Allah and the Messenger or betray your trusts while you know [the consequence].” (Holy Quran 8: 27)
And we betrayed Allah and His prophet; we did whatever what we wanted instead of obeying Allah and His prophet; that is clear deceit.
“And if We had willed, we could have elevated him thereby, but he adhered [instead] to the earth and followed his own desire. So his example is like that of the dog: if you chase him, he pants, or if you leave him, he [still] pants. That is the example of the people who denied Our signs. So relate the stories that perhaps they will give thought.”
“How evil an example [is that of] the people who denied Our signs and used to wrong themselves.” (Holy Quran 7: 176-177)
“Whoever Allah guides – he is the [rightly] guided; and whoever He sends astray – it is those who are the losers.”
And We have certainly created for Hell many of the jinn and mankind. They have hearts with which they do not understand, they have eyes with which they do not see, and they have ears with which they do not hear. Those are like livestock; rather, they are more astray. It is they who are the heedless.” (Holy Quran 7: 178-179)
Muslims Sinning Without any Remorse
A time now has come upon Pakistan that Muslims are sinning without any remorse whatsoever:
- Many of us do not pray, fast, pay Zakat and/or perform Haj
- We hardly read the Quran or Hadith and that too with meaning and/or its interpretation
- We are corrupt to the core in one or more aspects, monetary or other;
- We take bribes and interest
- We love watching Indian and English movies & are proud to tell others on social media about it
- We love dance and music
- Our women seldom wear the Hijab, Niqab or even a simple headscarf
- Our social customs from birth to marriage and death are full of customs from Indian & Western culture
Small Punishments Come Before the Great Punishment
“And we will surely let them taste the smaller punishments short of the greater punishment that perhaps they will repent.” (Holy Quran 32: 21)
- Some like Dr. Israr Ahmad believe the cutting off of East Pakistan was also a part of the ‘smaller punishments’ to be inflicted upon Pakistan.
- We have forgotten that small punishment
- Bangladesh is still a majority Muslim country with even graver problems!
“And We certainly seized the people of Pharaoh with years of famine and a deficiency in fruits that perhaps they would be reminded.
“But when good came to them, they said, “This is ours [by right].” And if a bad [condition] struck them, they saw an evil omen in Moses and those with him. Unquestionably, their fortune is with Allah, but most of them do not know.”
“And they said, “No matter what sign you bring us with which to bewitch us, we will not be believers in you.”
“So We sent upon them the flood and locusts and lice and frogs and blood as distinct signs, but they were arrogant and were a criminal people.”
“And when the punishment descended upon them, they said, “O Moses, invoke for us your Lord by what He has promised you. If you [can] remove the punishment from us, we will surely believe you, and we will send with you the Children of Israel.”
“But when We removed the punishment from them until a term which they were to reach, then at once they broke their word.”
“So We took retribution from them, and We drowned them in the sea because they denied Our signs and were heedless of them.” (Holy Quran 7: 130-136)
“Say, “He is the [one] Able to send upon you affliction from above you or from beneath your feet or to confuse you [so you become] sects and make you taste the violence of one another. Look how We diversify the signs that they might understand.”
(Holy Quran 6: 65)
Similar is with Pakistan. Many small punishments or trials have come upon this country:
- Bad corrupt rulers
“Thus we let some of the wrong-doers have power over others because of what they are wont (deserved) to earn” (Holy Quran 6: 129)
- Missing/Kidnapping of Children
- Killing (Karachi and other places)
- Economic & job crisis
- Energy & load shedding crisis
- Inflation & poverty
- Nation divided in lingual basis, provincial basis; sectarian basis, party basis; cast & racial basis
- Sectarian and party conflicts etc etc
And like the children of Israel, whenever the Punishment came we prayed to Allah for its removal and when it was removed, we again transgressed & started disobeying Allah and committing all those sins mentioned above.
We again start corruption & again start watching Indian & English films, again listen to songs and dance to Indian music and so on….
Some people didn’t even repent while the punishment was upon them. So in this way we are probably worse than the Jews of their time.
But those who deny Our signs – We will progressively lead them [to destruction] from where they do not know.” (Holy Quran 7: 182)
Thus Pakistan is rapidly proceeding towards destruction & we wonder how and why is all this happening!
Continuous Trangressions from Muslims in Pakistan
Recent few centuries has seen new Fitnah strongly emerge in the country, new transgressions in the form of secularism, liberalism, feminism etc including atheism.
“And among them are those who made a covenant with Allah , [saying], “If He should give us from His bounty, we will surely spend in charity, and we will surely be among the righteous.”
But when he gave them from His bounty, they were stingy with it and turned away while they refused.
So He penalized them with hypocrisy in their hearts until the Day they will meet Him – because they failed Allah in what they promised Him and because they [habitually] used to lie.” (Holy Quran 9: 75-77)
- “Allah has set a seal upon their hearts and upon their hearing, and over their vision is a veil. And for them is a great punishment.” (Holy Quran 2: 8)
- Many people have become hypocrites
- This is the status of the present day Pakistan
- Same Jagirdar system, same unfair unjust system of law & justice, unfair police system
- Flawed political system of politics (democracy) and elections & hypocritical politicians
- Same interest based system has still not been abolished; in fact ruling governments have been fighting the supreme court against abolishing interest in the country.
- “O you who have believed, fear Allah and give up what remains [due to you] of interest, if you should be believers. And if you do not, then be informed of a war [against you] from Allah and His Messenger. But if you repent, you may have your principal – [thus] you do no wrong, nor are you wronged. (Holy Quran 2: 278-279)
- We are now waging a war against Allah and His Prophet; almost everyone is taking Riba in one form or another as highlighted in this blog:
- So called Muslim Family laws, women protection bills etc are not totally within laws of Islam
- “And whoever does not judge by what Allah has revealed – then it is those who are the disbelievers.” (Holy Quran 5: 44)
- The whole environment has been corrupted of hypocrisy; Muslims around the world change as they enter the borders of Pakistan: lies, theft, corruption, bribes etc become order of the day as soon as they land in Pakistan
- “So He penalized them with hypocrisy in their hearts”
Reasons for Pakistan Surviving Until Now
- Respite from Allah Almighty who is very Merciful
- Allah giving us time: “And I will give them time. Indeed, my plan is firm.” (Holy Quran 7: 183)
- Many ‘karamaat’ (great signs) according to Dr. Israr Ahmad came upon Muslims of subcontinent:
- Many Reformers (Mujadideen) and Auliya Allah came from the subcontinent like Sheikh Ahmad Sarhandi, Mujadid Alfi Sani (RA), Ali Hajvery (RA), Sheikh Bahauddin Zakariyyah (RA), Hazrat Baba Fareed (RA) etc, who all spread the word of Allah throughout the subcontinent and beyond.
- Great thinkers came from this region (Allama Iqbal, Maulana Maududi, Maulana Ilyas, Dr. Zakir Naik, Dr. Israr Ahmad (RA) himself and many other great Ulema of the subcontinent (RA).
- Movement for revival of Khilafah after fall of Khilafah Usmania only took off in the subcontinent; not even the Arabs awoke
- Independence movement of Muslims in subcontinent was based upon Islam; not based on nationalism like that of Arabs or Turks
- Creation of Pakistan itself was against all the odds & a great miracle as described above; Passing of Qirardad Maqasid another miracle
- Pakistan was created on the 27th night of Ramadhan
- Most number of Islamic movements have arose from this country : Tableeghi Jamaat, Jamaati Islami, Tanzeem Islami, Dawat Islami, Jamat ud Dawa and so many others
- Prayers and sacrifices of millions who prayed & sacrificed their lives for sake of Islam & Pakistan especially the martyrs in the sake of Allah and the millions of Muhajirs who sacrificed their lives in the creation of an Islamic state.
- Only Muslim country to have Nuclear weapons and fulfill the Quranic order :
“And prepare against them whatever you are able of power and of steeds of war by which you may terrify the enemy of Allah and your enemy and others besides them whom you do not know [but] whom Allah knows. And whatever you spend in the cause of Allah will be fully repaid to you, and you will not be wronged.” (Holy Quran 8: 60)
- Still some very religious God-fearing men and women left in the country
But for how long will Pakistan Survive?
Despite all these Kararmaat (clear signs) mentioned above, we followed Shaitan and went towards secularism:
“And recite to them, [O Muhammad], the news of him to whom we gave [knowledge of] Our signs, but he detached himself from them; so Satan pursued him, and he became of the deviators.” (Holy Quran 7: 175)
- Many nations were destroyed before us.
- Nations of Prophet Nooh, Prophet Hood, Prophet Salih, Prophet Loot (AS to all) were all destroyed when their time came.
- A time comes when a nation reaches the ‘Point of no return’.
- “Until, when the earth has taken on its adornment and is beautified and its people suppose that they have capability over it, there comes to it Our command by night or by day, and We make it as a harvest, as if it had not flourished yesterday. Thus do We explain in detail the signs for a people who give thought.” (Holy Quran 10: 24)
Allah’s Punishment is Severe
“And fear a trial which will not strike those who have wronged among you exclusively, and know that Allah is severe in penalty.” (Holy Quran 8: 25)
Every time a grave punishment came, even innocent people were not spared.
“And if you turn away, He will replace you with another people; then they will not be the likes of you.” (Holy Quran 47: 38).
We may be conquered by India and perhaps India may become Muslim nation afterwards!
This has happened before in history. Remember the Mongols and Tatars? Remember the Crusades which are being fought again now according to President Bush when the word crusades came out of his mouth?
We May Also Become ‘Nasyan Mansiyyah’ (Oblivion, Forgotten)
“And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a palm tree. She said, “Oh, I wish I had died before this and was in oblivion, forgotten.” (Holy Quran 19: 22)
Just like the Ottoman Empire vanished upon the Earth, other nations may also become oblivious and forgotten or in the words of the Quran “Nasyan Mansiyyah”.
Likewise the Roman & Persian empires of the past and USSR of the present era, all vanished into thin air, no one even remembers their boundaries now.
“How much they left behind of gardens and springs; And crops and noble sites; And comfort wherein they were amused. Thus. And We caused to inherit it another people. And the heaven and earth wept not for them, nor were they reprieved.”
(Holy Quran 44: 25-30)
Pakistan and within it Islamabad, Lahore, Karachi & many other cities have within them several gardens and springs, and much respect for living.
When the time will come, these will be destroyed and given to another people, who will not be ungrateful like us. And after no one will weep for Pakistan as no one is weeping for Iraq or Libya.
We are just waiting for destruction! And Allah says:
And wait, indeed, we are waiting.” (Holy Quran 11: 122)
Say, “Do you await for us except one of the two best things while we await for you that Allah will afflict you with punishment from Himself or at our hands? So wait; indeed we, along with you, are waiting.” (Holy Quran 9: 52)
The Day that some of the signs of your Lord will come no soul will benefit from its faith as long as it had not believed before or had earned through its faith some good. Say, “Wait. Indeed, we [also] are waiting.” (Holy Quran 6: 158)
And probably the only people waging the prophesied Ghazwa Hind will be the surviving religious thankful people left in the country……
Final Chance of Redemption: Collective Repentance & Call to Way of All
“O you who have believed, repent to Allah with sincere repentance. Perhaps your Lord will remove from you your misdeeds and admit you into gardens beneath which rivers flow [on] the Day when Allah will not disgrace the Prophet and those who believed with him. Their light will proceed before them and on their right; they will say, “Our Lord, perfect for us our light and forgive us. Indeed, You are over all things competent.” (Holy Quran 66:8)
“Said Moses to his people, “Seek help through Allah and be patient. Indeed, the earth belongs to Allah . He causes to inherit it whom He wills of His servants. And the [best] outcome is for the righteous.” (Holy Quran 7: 128)
We as a Nation have to do collective & sincere repentance (Taubah). Repentance is a promise and strong collective resolve not to revert to evils and to return to righteousness and to establish the Deen
Not a deceptive Taubah; not a repentance followed by wickedness, but repentance followed by righteousness:
“And he who repents and does righteousness does indeed turn to Allah with [accepted] repentance.” (Holy Quran 25: 71)
Everyone has to change individually before a change comes upon a society:
“Verily, Allah will not change the (good) condition of a people as long as they do not change their state (of goodness) themselves (by not committing sins and by being grateful and obedient to Allah)” (Holy Quran 13:11)
For collective sins, collective & true repentance has to be made. For example interest-based economy is affecting every individual in the society, whether he wants it or not; it is not in his choice. And even more sinful if one is voluntarily taking interest from savings accounts in a bank.
(On the Day of Judgment, everyone shall be dealt with individually)
Secondly call to Allah by the help of the Holy Quran:
“So do not obey the disbelievers, and strive against them with the Qur’an a great striving.” (Holy Quran 25: 52)
Striving with Quran here means spread the message of the Holy Quran, spend ones time, ones wealth on this aim
“Quran ki dawat lay kar utho aur puri dunya par cha jao” (Take up the message of the Quran & spread it throughout the world- Maulana Maududi RA)
For this one has to understand the message of the Holy Quran before spreading it; try to understand its meaning, learn Arabic, read its interpretation, and reflect over its meanings (Tadabbur)
“Then do they not reflect upon the Qur’an?” (Holy Quran 4: 83)
Lastly they will have to unite and order Good and forbid evil:
“[Such believers are] the repentant, the worshippers, the praisers [of Allah ], the travelers [for His cause], those who bow and prostrate [in prayer], those who enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong, and those who observe the limits [set by] Allah . And give good tidings to the believers.” (Holy Quran 9: 112)
Only and only then may Allah save us. What answer will we give to Allah for our efforts in this regard on the Day of Judgment?
“And among those We created is a community which guides by truth and thereby establishes justice.” (Holy Quran 7:181)
Truth and justice has to be established upon the land by a community of people.
We pray for that day of repentance and call to the way of the Lord again. Then Allah’s Mercy & His Blessings may again come to our country.
For the fact is that nations may be destroyed and wiped out the face of the Earth, but Islam is here to stay as promised by Allah in the Quran in several places:
“It is He who sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth to manifest it over all religion. And sufficient is Allah as Witness.” (Holy Quran 48: 28)
So we should stick to what is eternal. Start now. Start today. No one knows when one will die. Run to Him for time is running out before the great punishment may come! (Malhama)?
So flee to Allah . Indeed, I am to you from Him a clear warner. (Holy Quran 51: 50)
The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “Allah the Most High said, ‘I am as My servant thinks (expects) I am. I am with him when he mentions Me. If he mentions Me to himself, I mention him to Myself; and if he mentions Me in an assembly, I mention him in an assembly greater than it. If he draws near to Me a hand’s length, I draw near to him an arm’s length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.’”
“Hold on to the rope of Allah and be NOT divided” (Holy Quran: 3: 103)
Beware of revolt unless conditions are met:
Before Pakistan God Forbid becomes Nasyan Mansiyyah!
There are still many good people left here. There is a hope. I believe and pray that Pakistan will survive and rise again in sha Allah.
“Say, “O People of the Scripture, you are [standing] on nothing until you uphold [the law of] the Torah, the Gospel, and what has been revealed to you from your Lord.” And that which has been revealed to you from your Lord will surely increase many of them in transgression and disbelief. So do not grieve over the disbelieving people.” (Holy Quran 5: 68)
Likewise we Muslims stand on nothing until we uphold the Law of the Holy Quran
Note: Similar principles can be applied to all Muslim countries, many of which have already received or are in process of receiving their greater punishments (Iraq, Libya, Syria etc)